Friday 3 May 2019

Another spring is here...

Every year is different in Comfort's Wood. This selection of wild flowers that I photographed on May 1st this year, is remarkably similar to those I pictured in 2017; but those were shot on 27th March. It's hard to say for certain whether spring is later this year, but some of the insect finds I have made are definitely later than most other years.


Interestingly, I noticed this plant (pictured below) on my walk and in all my years of walking these woods, I don't think I have seen it before. Perhaps I have but just overlooked it. I think this is Portugal Laurel: possibly originally planted as hedging? 




Even though the oak leaves are only just appearing, there are already lots of galls...


I'm not sure if these are oak apples or artichoke galls...






A day later I walked the woods again; this time looking for bugs and insects. Here are just a few of the subjects I found...

Erannis defoliaria-A Mottled Umber larva (Geometridae)

Misumena-vatia- A Crab Spider (Araneae)
I think this female spider may be about to lay eggs; she looks pretty gravid in this next photograph...




Unknown moth larva

Curculio glandium (An Acorn Weevil) female


A Cream-spot Ladybird (Calvia quattuordecimguttata)




No comments:

Post a Comment